Saturday 13 November 2010

Expensive

Searching for ‘Ink Champagne’ on Google (or other such delightful search engine) will bring up a number of results. Mainly, it asks: ‘did you mean to search for Pink Champagne?’ And, if the answer to that is ‘yes,’ then I wouldn’t blame you – I’m quite partial to a few bubbles myself! But another popular search returned, is: ‘Ink more expensive than Champagne.’

All that led me here: 45 million ink cartridges hit UK landfill every year… 45 million in the UK alone! (I thank http://www.cartridgeworld.co.uk/ for that stat.)

This reminded me about the WEEE Man. Over 7m tall and built from 3.3 tonnes of electrical waste that an average person produces in a lifetime, I want to go and see him some day. For the time being I visit him here: http://weeeman.org/ or on Google images to remind myself I am a consumer and, like it or not, I’m nurturing one of these babies of my own.

Intro over… Here it is:


Expensive

Why are we building giant robots?
over seven metres high!
An electronic, silent army,
being assembled out of sight

How can we create monsters?
who feast on Mother Earth
And in payment for her sweetness:
we plant our metal seeds in dirt

When they rise up from the ashes
those piles of rust and solder might
Just stand and watch us from the shadows;
soldiers blocking out the light

Who calls time on all this madness?
Three tonnes turns so quickly into four...
Our ‘disposable’ generation
can surely take no more


(c) Copyright Jane Edwards 2010

4 comments:

Donkey said...

love it,very thought provoking to our collective social consciousness however was a bit confused by the wee man intro,click on the link and you will see what I mean!

http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5134

Ink Champagne said...

Thank you... I thought that myself when I first heard of it... It's the extra 'e' on weee that's confusing! :)

Donkey said...

so will u be going to see jackass 3d then?im going next week after my graduation weekend lol.love wee man but also impressed by weeeman,it makes u think just how much we affect our environment,i hope they never do an example airballoon wiv how much smoke is generated by 1 smoker,if it was mine it would be the size of the tallest building in the world lol

Donkey said...

Hope you have a happy christmas Jane and I look forward to more of your work in 2011