Friday 12 March 2010

Addict

Just one time it takes; that fatal mistake
The obsession grabs hold and by then it's too late
A cinder keeps glowing, long after it's gone
The ashtray a resting place while it sings its song:

You need me, it cries,
Your conscience, my home
I live in your psyche, your weakness; my friend
As long as I'm burning, the bond never ends

It whispers, and dances, that grey toxic cloud
It screams in your ears; but the sound isn't loud
A fizzle, a hiss, an ignited delight
By now you're addicted, one more fire at night

I'm winning, I'm on top - you're on the retreat
One more drag's been taken, you're knocked off your feet
Don't leave me, please, no. Just kiss me once more
By this time next year, they won't have a cure

I'm evil you see - let's not try to pretend
You've known for some time now, you can't be my friend
To leave me takes courage, a fight till the end
Some do it, I know - there are a lucky few. And to those that beat me, my hat's off to you

My message is clear: I think I've won
To those that disagree, a battle's begun
I dare you; a challenge - from the demon "your friend"
If you make me a ghost, I'll give you life back again

(c) copyright Jane Edwards 2010

No comments: