Sunday 29 August 2010

Recollection

Full of creepy bugs and covered in moss,
I knew it even then; with infant eyes:
when it rained, the algae would turn my clothes green
and mother crimson.
On summers days it scratched my legs as I made daisy chains
and served as a goalpost with its jacket-buddy;
a timeless hero to the generations.
I wonder if that log knew how much it was loved –
incorporated; a childhood hub.
Had it known it would be severed from its roots;
removed from its coppice family – status downgraded from tree to log –
would it have volunteered its fate?
Knowing that one day
it would jog just one child’s memory
and make that child smile.
I hope so.

(c) Copyright Jane Edwards 2010

2 comments:

Thefear said...

very good,nothing more valuble than memories and recalled memories,a source of both knoweldge and comfort

joaquin carvel said...

this is really tender and sweet - reminds me of shel silverstein's "the giving tree".

i hope so too.